[lbo-talk] Gossip

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 2 18:08:51 PST 2012

No one objects to gossip, but to be interesting even in a trivial way it has to be about something or someone or some reasonably identifiable group.

Consider:

Joana writes:

I liked her in Striptease & she was not bad in Ghost. She's ok.

I can't quite tell whether I'm horrified by her diet/exercise regimen or envious.

And when I posted a couple of the Casa Pound posts to the Eliot list, it evoked a little eddy of comment, as follows

Nancy Gish: "Several years ago at the Orono Pound conference, both Mary and Olga were there. Bert Hatlen gave paper that just mentioned Pound's broadcasts for Mussolini and his Fascist views, and the two women had absolute fits and started a major issue. I, unfortunately, was at a different session, but they were furious and made it a big brouhaha."

Which in turn triggered this:

Rick S:"Mary was at the Sun Valley conference along with most if not all her children. She was sponsoring a recollection presentation by one of Pound's army guards at Pisa. I was sitting with Professor Hatlen immediately before the presentation and the big gentle man was very insistent about avoiding the topic with Mary."

As someone else had said, she's a bit obsessive on the matter.

This is all gossip. But how in the hell can you gossip about itptpoolas & nmtacteris -- which make as much sense as "conservatives" and "leftists." That contrast resembles, say, a contrast between Jonathan apples and styles in work shirts.

Has the list become that hard up for something to talk abut?

Shag's remarks on methodological dualism were interesting, however.

Carrol