[lbo-talk] 'The Reactionary Mind': An Exchange

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Feb 3 08:00:01 PST 2012

At 10:46 AM 2/3/2012, Wojtek S wrote:
>Shag: "I've not come across enough of an explanation as to why the
>"lower orders" want to join conservative movements."
>
>[WS:] I do not think it is the purpose of his book. He goes on this
>tangent when he discusses the South, which is interesting but a
>tangent nonetheless. Sheri Berman in her review is trying to make it
>into the main purpose of Robin's book, but I do not think she is
>convincing. As I see, the main point of this book is to make a
>distinction between conservatives and reactionaries and portray the
>latter as those using revolutionary methods for counter-revolutionary
>goals, and the book succeeds in attaining this goal. Of course, there
>is question whether this exhausts the range of reactionary behaviors,
>but even if does not, it is not a valid criticism of the book. If one
>develops a diagnostic test for, say, stomach cancer it would be
>invalid to criticize it for not being able to diagnose colon cancer.
>
>Wojtek

i was responding to his own words which is that he is the one saying that he shows why lower orders join conservatives:

"I show that the lower orders often join, and have good reason to join, the conservative cause: in fending off a democratic movement from below, conservatism gives them a taste of lordly power they otherwise would not enjoy."

ravi didn't understand teh "good" reason for doing so.