[lbo-talk] 'The Reactionary Mind': An Exchange

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Feb 3 09:14:15 PST 2012

On Feb 3, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Shane Mage wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2012, at 11:44 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>> what are you two talking about?
>
> The phenomenon of reactionary mass political engagement by the "lower orders.”

So, Shane, do you think that’s because there is a “conservative/reactionary mind” in quest of a “taste of lordly power”?

—ravi

Please don’t tell me to read the book. That’s a cop out. I am not asking about Robin’s ultimate opinions. I am asking about yours in response to something that just happens to be something Robin wrote in the NYRB, but has been brought up before as a question: how does one explain “reactionary mass political engagement by the ‘lower orders’”? I don’t have a good explanation. But I do have a suspicion that it cannot just be all explained by pointing to white supremacy and such. Better I think an EP style argument that human “minds” are adapted to pressures dating millenia where loyalty, group cohesion, etc, matter more significantly than it does today; or that human “minds” are naturally conservative, preferring a well-known status quo/equilibrium, even if disadvantageous to new complexities.