[lbo-talk] Reminder: WBAI benefit (just $5) - Sat., Feb. 4, 1 pm -- NYC

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 3 11:58:40 PST 2012

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD .....

Hi,

Let me invite you to our fourth monthly "Saturday Showcase & Salon" to benefit WBAI -- entry is only $5, no minimum!

Come meet your favorite WBAI personalities. Excellent food, great music and radical politics in downtown Manhattan.

Saturday, February 4th, 2012 1 pm – 4 pm at the Lafayette Grill and Bar 54-56 Franklin Street in downtown Manhattan (3 blocks south of Canal Street, between Lafayette and Broadway) All trains to Canal St., or #1 train to Franklin St.

This month FEATURING:

* Stand-up comedian Katie Halper -- comic, writer, blogger, satirist and filmmaker. AND,

* Guest Speaker: Gary Null (in person), on "Who's poisoning the planet and what we can do about it." Gary's natural health and political commentaries can be heard every weekday at noon on WBAI, and on the internet over the Progressive Radio Network. Questions and comments are welcome; AND,

* The Big Road Blues Band, exploring the roots of the Blues (musically, as well as politically). Performing material from their latest album, "Crossroots". Big Road Blues Band is: Alan Podber--vocals, guitars, mandolin, harmonica; Ricky Eisenberg--vocals, guitars; Myriam Valle--vocals, guitars, mandolin, triangle; Ken Ficara--harmonica, guitar; Come meet your favorite WBAI personalities. Excellent food, great music and radical politics in downtown Manhattan. Deborah Monlux--fiddle; Jim Porter--frottoir. AND,

* Opera singer Katie Kat, in a return engagement! Katie brought down the house last month with her performance of Puccini's "Quando men vo" from La Boheme;

* R&B & funk guitarist extraordinaire Ahmad Ali, host of Stony Brook (WUSB) radio's "Cafe Ali" (and who sometimes co-hosts late night shows on WBAI), joined by WBAI's Ibrahim Gonzalez on the congas and Gary Cobin on harmonica.

* Topical singer-songwriter and jokester Marcy Gordon (the singing lawyer);

* Unfortunately, Rorie Kelly is recovering from some sort of serious respiratory infection and has no voice! So she won't be able to sing this month, though she might show up with CDs anyway;

Several surprise guests!

There'll be excellent Mediterranean food and drink, free hors d'oeuvres, and a bottle of wine as one of the door prizes (compliments of Dino, the owner of the Lafayette Grill); and mucho reading material & CDs. So come early, and stay late!

Entrance cost: Just $5 and no minimum ­ we want to pull together our communities and thank WBAI members, management and staff, enjoy each other's company -- not soak WBAI listeners for what little funds they have! (And if you can't afford even that, don’t sweat it! No one turned away for lack of funds.)

Remember . Revolution is as American as Occu-pie.

- Mitchel Cohen Brooklyn Greens/Green Party, and Chair, WBAI (99.5 FM) Local Station Board*

* for ID only .

http://www.MitchelCohen.com

Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. ~ Leonard Cohen