[lbo-talk] 'The Reactionary Mind': An Exchange

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Feb 3 20:01:38 PST 2012

you are just irritated by the phrase. he simply uses it to write about a bunch of dead or nearly dead white guys and a gal or two who we call reactionaries and conservatives. he's speaking to an academic debate: what is a conservative.

in the past, you've made a claim about conservatives. they don't like change you said.

exactly. that's one argument in the intellectual tradition. robin thinks that the people who say this about reactionaries are wrong.

why? because: look around. reactionaries are pretty fucking activist it seems in their desire to radically change a lot of stuff. don't like change? pshaw. they appear to fucking love change.

it is this, the fact that there seems to be a weird contradiction here -- the popular claim that cons don't like change up against a reality in which cons / reactionaries love change -- that interests him. is argument is that the core of what it means to be a conservative has zero to do with tryinng to hold back the tides of change or even to make radically changes to get back to the way things were before. they aren't trying to get back to the way things were before Corey argues.

all of this to say: this is why it's fucking irritating to talk to people who don't read a book.

the title is a fucking literary device for fuck's sake.

you are right to be suspicious that the title points to something intelletually obnoxious IME, but this is not it.