[lbo-talk] Essential Reading - Hah!

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Feb 4 12:08:41 PST 2012

the nice liberals who used to own this house were on all sorts of junk mail lists. a brochure advertising this just showed up in the mail a couple of weeks ago, except they're audio books. They also get a flyer advertising 100 courses on Western Civ - dvds - or something like that. That sort of thing was marketed at the lower middle and working class strivers, like my mother, who'd buy great books sets and encyclopedia sets in the hope that her children would be able to move into the middle class by having such knowledge and/or because they would hope that their children could "pass" by having such knowledge. a deeply held belief among such folks like my mom that, if you're culcha'd, that's the magic ticket to the american dream.

the great books idea was resurrected in the late 80s/early 90s by E.D. Hirsch and his arguments for "cultural literacy". He argued that the problem with our school system (the debates that dominated the 80s seem quaint in retrospect given the actual problems we face today!) was that it emphasized things like phonix, when what children really needed was good content in their reading material rather than Dick and Jane books that focused on the mechanics of reading. For some reason, though, I vaguely recall that, when it came to math, he advocated rote learning of math skills.

At any rate, Hirsch thought that reading literacy was necessarily built on something, IIRC, often referred to as "whole books" approach. IIRC, instead of teaching kids piecemeal, you would just have them struggle to read the whole book - some Western classic that conveyed a store of cultural and historical knowledge with which they'd build on throughout their learning lives.

Funny story: this book was assigned for a class I took once. A woman who would become my best friend was sitting around outside of class during break (night class) with a bunch of us who were reading the jacket notes to Hirsh's book, Cultural Literacy. There was a quiz on the back cover which contained a list of things Hirsch thought a literate person should know. So, we're taking it and we come across "G.I. Bill"

My friend: Wasn't that G.I. Joe's buddy?

ha!