[lbo-talk] Essential Reading - Hah!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 4 13:47:04 PST 2012

I have no objection to the turn this thread has taken -- it's produced some interesting stuff. But my initial point concerned not "good books" or "important books or, for that matter, books at all. (Shag's remarks on Hirsch are relevant here.) It concerned a _historical change_, the _disappearance_ from the 18th-c on, of a cultural/political assumption. I would speculate, without insisting too much on it, that this change was an aspect of the change from social relations grounded in "place" (estates, castes, statuses, etc) to a class society. (I'm assuming that the _only_ class society in history is capitalism). The disappearance of a 'visible' social structure and the emergence of _internally_ generated (rather than the _external_ relations of (e.g. feudalism or the ancient Palace Economies) dissolved the material grounds for assuming a core of necessary human knowledge. Pope still (somewhat desperately) clung (at least 'consciusly') to the older hierarchical (_visibly_ and _formally_ hierarchical) face of social relations. (Cf. Swift & the Battle of the Books.) The Dunciad 'celebrates' the death of that world (and of the rhetoric going back to Rome that placed _oral_ persuasion among within a privileged status or estate at the heart of public life).

(The so-called "information overload" is one aspect of this change. Public life is no longer controlled by "Genetlemen" who can address each other as equals. That shift, Pope (contra Milton) apparently saw as Chaos is come again. If you want to you can equate that chaos with the anarchy of capitalist production brought abut by competition.

Repeat -- a speculation.

Any comment.

Carrol

P.S. The thread metamorphosed into one assuming unrelated individuals attempting to establish relations where none existed before. We 'know' each other, but each thread establishes a new set of principles, hence at least potentially dissolving all established relations and requiring that new relations be established _as though_ from the beginning among windowless monads. Note in this connection that Adam & Eve continually 'remarry' as though for the first time, previous events having 'dissolved' the prior marriage, leaving them as abstract, isolated individuals (Marx) having only as a _moral_ imperative to establish anew the relations that make us human.