[lbo-talk] 'The Reactionary Mind': An Exchange

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 4 18:07:55 PST 2012

Mike, I find the discussion of Schmidt fascinating. Is it yours or are you quoting someone. (The mixture of identified quotes & your own comments confuses me -- probably because I read too slowly.)

Carrol

************************** I wrote the discussion of Schmidt, Carrol. The quotes I used were meant as a way of demonstrating how reactionaries think by what they wrote in terms of their perceived need to cement hierarchical political power of those who own most of the social product of labour aka the ruling classes and how those on the left, specifically Marx and Engels, see/saw the need to equalise social relations of political power. The way I read Robin so far is that he has identified the core issue for conservatives: how to maintain and extend the political power of their ruling classes.

Now, what I don't know about Robin's power thesis is whether he stretches it back into the history of class domination civilisation to identify how it is/was that the ideologists/intellectuals and priests in service to the ruling class/ruling ideas, used their minds to justify/rationalise the rule of classes past. I'm waiting to get my hands on the actual book to discover this.

Mike B) *********************************************************************** Wobbly Times http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/