[lbo-talk] Error Correction RE: Essential Reading - Hah!

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 10:21:47 PST 2012

>The pain of enduring mandatory training in reading or writing is not limited
>to the poor but occurs in all levels of society. The rich would be less
>affected only in that their wealth enables them to say fuck it. That is
>indeed a great privilege, which I wish to extend to other sectors of the
>population.
>
>Carrol

Thanks. I understand much better now what you're saying. I remember once reading a story that I've never been able to find again about a black man in Haiti in the 18th or 19th century who committed suicide by jumping off a bridge with a dictionary around his neck to weigh him down. The moral of the story was he'd done everything he thought would make him free, especially learning how to read and write, and it didn't change his lot at all.