[lbo-talk] Error Correction RE: Essential Reading - Hah!

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 00:21:28 PST 2012

On Feb 5, 2012, at 8:13 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yeah, and I just read some rant from Noam Chomsky denouncing education too. It's hilarious when highly educated intellectuals end up sounding like Pink Floyd.

I've never heard Carrol or Noam denounce either *learning* or the *encouragement of learning* - only, rather, the kinds of systems of training and instruction that attempt to constrain human curiosity, the drive for self-expression, and the need for the means of physical survival, into material forms that can be more easily managed in service of capital accumulation and the consolidation of power. It *is* possible to become aware of what's wrong with "education" - as simultaneously a paradigm and a set of historical institutions - despite having been subjected to it. I suspect it's also true - at least as a broad generalisation - that having been subjected to "education" may provide a basis for an exceptionally nuanced understanding of what's wrong with it, but that's certainly not inevitable, and exceptions abound in both directions.