[lbo-talk] Texts and the veil...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 00:30:38 PST 2012

----- Original Message ----- I have no objection to literacy. None whatsoever.

I have objections to the arrogance of the literate and the torture of children.

We're agreed there. But I mentioned the article not to criticize you, but because it described how Europeans preferred to construct the Orient out of texts rather than out of reality.

Joanna

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of 123hop at comcast.net Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 9:08 PM To: lbo-talk Subject: [lbo-talk] Texts and the veil...

An interesting footnote to Carrol's objection to literacy.

http://www.juancole.com/2012/02/lyons-islam-women-and-the-west.html