[lbo-talk] Some Comforting Words from Rosa L.

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 07:58:23 PST 2012

Joseph Catron I myself prefer I.F. Stone's rendition (if only because he omitted that cringeworty part about "the final battle of the proletarian class war")"

^^^^ CB: That part is only cringeworthy if u ignore the common sense of most of the 99% and think you can get them to join a protracted movement of losing struggles with no big reversal to Victory in the ultimate contest. Most of the 99%, very sensibly, are not into class suicide struggles. Even Communists must appeal to the ideal of Victory. So, the African National Congress slogan was "the struggle continues; victory is certain" when it seemed impossible to end Apartheid.

^^^^^^^

"The only kinds of fights worth fighting are those you are going to lose, because somebody has to fight them and lose and lose and lose until someday, somebody who believes as you do wins. In order for somebody to win an important, major fight 100 years hence, a lot of other people have got to be willing - for the sheer fun and joy of it - to go right ahead and fight, knowing you're going to lose. You mustn't feel like a martyr. You've got to enjoy it.