[lbo-talk] conservatives vs. leftists

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 14:21:31 PST 2012

On 2012-02-06, at 10:59 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Marv: "Except in the case of conservatives. We don't share the same
> values or goals, and this has necessarily conditioned my responses to
> them."
>
> [WS:} I am not sure if I agree with this. Yes, "we" disagree on some
> values or goals, but we may agree on others.

You're quite right, Woj. Libertarians are reactionary on economic issues but can be quite progressive on some social and foreign policy ones. But in general my conservative friends and acquaintances have diametrically opposed views to my own with respect to the causes and organizations I support at home and abroad, and this constitutes a barrier which we have to try to work around to maintain a relationship. This is not typically the case with liberals and certainly not with radicals, where there is less possibility of tension and conflict suddenly arising out of our interaction. It was in that sense that I drew the distinction.