[lbo-talk] Query on Hegel

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 08:59:57 PST 2012

On Feb 7, 2012, at 6:29 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Shane's paraphrase is delightful. I'm glad I posted the query.

It is indeed.

This moves in a different direction, but Benjamin's third thesis seems peculiarly apt, although it may slightly abrade even as it resonates:

"The chronicler, who recounts events without distinguishing between the great and small, thereby accounts for the truth, that nothing which has ever happened is to be given as lost to history. Indeed, the past would fully befall only a resurrected humanity. Said another way: only for a resurrected humanity would its past, in each of its moments, be citable. Each of its lived moments becomes a citation a l'ordre du jour* – whose day is precisely that of the Last Judgment."

* In French in the original.