[lbo-talk] Query on Hegel

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:58:20 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM, lbo83235 <lbo83235 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe you've made essentially the same point a few times lately.

Yeah, I think so to. At least I have been thinking of the Owl during this whole thread.

I do tend to agree with Hegel/Carrol, that any theory/philosophy that's worth a crap is describing things after they've come to pass and that thought lags behind. But I also think that the strict division that's usually assumed in these discussions--theory vs. practice, thought vs. action--aligns perfectly with the capitalist divsion of labor between the head and the hand, between intellectual labor and manual labor. It makes sense that ur-capitalist philosophers like Hegel and Kant (or maybe Descartes) would be the ones to first insist on the division, but I'm not sure it makes sense for anticapitalists to follow it. It's better to problematize the division than repeat it.