[lbo-talk] Santa Rita, I Hate Every Inch of You

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Feb 7 13:52:29 PST 2012

I couldn't find any mention of a "community based and supported occupation".

Was it suggested that they get official support for such a project?

Or are you saying that doing it "off the grid" so to speak is ok, it's just that it didn't have enough community support?

I followed what happened as it happened, following twitter and live vid, but if you're interested in getting a sense of what really happened I'd follow Susie Cagle on Twitter to start. Just keeping following who she talks to and you'll get most of the info you need to know.

As the article Eric pointed to hinted: there was a concerted effort on the part of the police to use different tactics. They kettled protesters and did so without the usual warnings.

If you've ever been involved in these protests, you'll know that there is an intricate song and dance that goes on. First, cops have a set ratio of how many cops they know they need in order to arrest X. Second, it's a ritual dance where, often, cops are arresting "known" suspects - poeople they think are leaders or they've profiled or whatever - and are often uninterested in arresting everyone involved. Third, the cops give warnings because they know that, often, there are protestors who don't intend to do "bad" things and who get caught up. The idea is to let those people who intend to commit direct action/civil disobedience make it clear that they are, while those who have no intention of doing so are allowed to leave.

that 3rd didn't happen here. Thus, the many many arrests.

If you ever get a chance, I'd highly recommend Direct Action(Graeber) for a really good behind the scenes (inside) account of what's up with issues of property destruction/non-violence/diversity of tactics.

<> I think people concerned over direction should read them all in order <> starting with Hedges, then Proyect, then Purucker. Somebody in one of <> the <> above suggested a more focused community based and supported <> occupation of <> the Kaiser Center. That sounded like a very good idea, including <> arguing <> with the city council. Everybody has to remember that Quan will <> probably not <> survive a recall, which is slowly ticking away. So her use of heavy <> police <> tactics has probably cost her, her job. Besides she is seen by the <> black <> community here as openly racist. A more in-depth and organized <> petition to <> set up a community center would probably have pretty good street <> support, <> since a lot of existing services are of course getting cut. <> <> But such a center will need its own self-policing. In my limited <> experience <> this past year, where I work is sort of a community based service <> center and <> it has attracted the homeless and people who want a place off the <> street to <> get loaded, as well as some scam artists. <> <> Anyway, I trust Purucker's account because it comes from `inside' and <> not <> `outside'. I am on the outside too, so I do my best to reserve <> judgements <> until I hear from somebody who was present. <> <> CG <> <> ___________________________________ <> http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk <>