[lbo-talk] Conservatives want to erase the Enlightenment....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 7 17:39:08 PST 2012

CG

PS. Mike B, can you post a different link to the article. All I got was a Yahoo ad and request to login. Maybe title and author would do.

Dennis C. Rasmussen Brown University Contemporary Political Theory as an Anti-Enlightenment Project

http://www.brown.edu/Research/ppw/files/Rasmussen_PPW.pdf

Yo Chuck...as I read through the paper, I discovered that it is basically an exploratory piece with more research and writing to come. Rasmussen also identifies lefties e.g. Horkheimer, Adorno and the post-moderns e.g. Foucault as being part of this intellectual assault on and critique of the Enlightenment and I can see how his observations work in this regard. I just hope that he develops them in a way which will expose the basic insight which Corey Robin seems to be on to i.e the question of maintaining ruling class power for the right, the reactionary mind. On the left, the insights which Horky and A develop in THE DIALECTIC OF THE ENLIGHTENMENT are and remain valid and have a different intent from those which Oakshot and Strauss are aiming at. H&A's focus is on the distancing from nature involved with the historical development of reason. This is a dialectical relation worthy of lefty exploration. Anyway, I'm enjoying your critical observations

vis a vis Strauss and am in basic agreement that the reactionary project is one intimately linked with the destruction of reason amongst the ruled in order to justify the continued rule of a class of owners of the collective product of labour.

Wobbly Times

http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/