[lbo-talk] idle curiosity: UK men

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Feb 8 08:11:51 PST 2012

My company is, uh, global. Working a lot more with the UK team these days.

One guy is about mid-30s, runs around calling women "dear", asking for them for kisses and hugs, such as:

Marketing Manager: John, have you had a chance to look at this report? John from UK: Not at all my lovely girl and I won't do so until I get a kiss.

Recently, marketing and sales managers were conversing in a hallway convo about the latest reports,

"Good morning my lovelies. How about a kiss?" (leans in, pointing at cheek, apparently hoping that they pull him into their arms and start a foursome with him.)

He was found fumbling around in the kitchen, trying to figure out how to get himself a cup of coffee. he explained to me that he considered it progress in his career, every time he's learned to do for himself things that a secretary otherwise might do. (I practically fell over to prevent myself from laughing at that. There are administrative assistance and they don't get coffee! lol)

I'm reminded of Love, Actually where one of the guys believes that he'll get all kinds of hot chicks in the U.S. because his accent will impress and because US women are constantly horny, making reality of every letter to Penthouse Forum ever written.

Is it that this guy is total horn dog b/c that's just the way people interact in the workplace in the UK. (It's been awhile since I used to watch the brit sitcom about worklife in the UK.)

Or, is it the stereotype of hot horny u.s. women. (or is there a stereotype of u.k. men believing that u.s. women are hot and horny?)

Or is this guy just weird? I'm hoping the latter - mostly for his sake.