[lbo-talk] FW: [URPE] Come off the cross,

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 8 08:20:55 PST 2012

I fwd this not because I have any opinion whatever of my own on the substance of the post but for the contrast the last two paragraphs offer to the frivolity of Hedges, Proyect, et al. This poster is much more than an economist (I know nothing of his economic thought) - he recognizes the responsibility he takes on by making his criticism; Hedges & Proyect merely throw words into the air for their own private satisfaction.

Carrol

________________________________________ From: urpe-announcements-bounces at greenhouse.economics.utah.edu [mailto:urpe-announcements-bounces at greenhouse.economics.utah.edu] On Behalf Of Christopher Rude Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 10:56 AM To: urpe-announcements at greenhouse.economics.utah.edu Subject: [URPE] Come off the cross, we can use the wood: the Occupy movement needs some basic economic education

Hello fellow URPE members, The Occupy movement is a democratic truth-event, a call for radical equality. The movement has allowed those who previously had no voice in formal political discourse to be heard on their own terms by breaking with and dissolving the coerced orthodoxy that there are no alternatives to capitalist democracy. By exposing and questioning the stupefying inequity of existing social relationships, it has placed the possibility of a radical transformation of capitalism on the agendas of the Left, for progressives, radicals and revolutionaries of many tendencies.

That being said, the movement is in trouble. Various groups are vying for control, trying to influence it in many, often reactionary, ways. One of its major problems, a problem that makes this possible, is a lack of a basic understanding of economics on the part of many of its most active participants. People know that something is very wrong with our economy but they do not know what it is. In their confusion, they turn to the wildest ideas.

I can be concrete. I went to a meeting of the New York City General Assembly's Alternative Banking group for the first time yesterday and participated in discussion about the Fed. I found two sorts of people there. One group was naive and lacked an understanding of the most basic matters: they did not know what fractional banking was but opposed it. The other group, the one that was supplying the leadership for the whole working group, were financial sector operatives, who did not want to use their own names. The latter included the principal of a major Wall Street consulting firm.

What is my suggestion to URPE members? Join in the Occupation. Become an an active member of any economics-related working group. There are many. You will find it a painful but a rewarding experience. Be patient and be prepared to struggle. Educate!

Gramsci said somewhere that intellectual battles need to be fought differently than military battles: in the latter, one should attach the enemy at his weakest point, but in an intellectual battle one needs to attack his strongest point. Now more than ever, this is what we need to do.

Thank you,

Chris Rude URPE Steering Committee

PS For those who are curious, the phrase "Come off the cross, we can use the wood" is a quote from a Tom Waits song. Here are two Youtube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJBqRzjCBSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GugzLSbOQE&feature=results_main&playnext=1&l ist=PL0283877D2FC4D375