[lbo-talk] Lou Proyect responds...

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Feb 8 11:11:19 PST 2012

On Feb 8, 2012, at 1:47 PM, Doug Henwood wrote channelling Louis Proyect who might or might not be repeating the words of one Lee Sustar (I cannot tell, given the lack of any textual markup in the forwarded material):

> Nevertheless, there is a question that must be tackled by all participants in the movement: Can the “no demands” approach sustain and develop a movement that’s rapidly spreading across the U.S.?

This of course is, to borrow a term from Proyect, a malicious lie. OWS does have demands. They are spelled out in the placards they carry. The difference is: the participants of OWS, unlike the commentators, realise that putting demands at the centre at this time (in the struggle, and in politics) would be futile. It is not just because I am outside the inner circle that my questions have gone unanswered thus far: what happens once demands are made? Negotiations? Concessions from the powers? And how does one arrive at these demands? Certainly not using that much dreaded beast - “process” - that commentators have pooh-poohed?

—ravi