[lbo-talk] Black Blocs & Other Perennials

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:15:26 PST 2012

On 2012-02-09, at 5:21 AM, Eric Beck wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Marv Gandall <marvgand at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not glossing over it. I'm not aware of such collaboration. Do you mean they are fingering protesters to the police? If so, that'd be treacherous; movements should police themselves. Can you provide some evidence of this?
>

> http://www.anarkismo.net/article/20869
>
> http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/oct2011/pers-o25.shtml

Both these articles, from two resolutely "anti-Stalinist" sources, allude to clashes which erupted between pro-CP trade unionists supported by other leftist groups and anarchist-led demonstrators trying to storm the Greek parliament. As wsws put it, "the behaviour of the Stalinist PAME trade union was particularly significant…supporters of PAME, who are close to the Greek Communist Party (KKE), assumed responsibility for defending parliament from demonstrators with their own security guards. Wearing helmets and armed with baseball bats, PAME supporters directly took over the role of the police in Athens to beat up and intimidate demonstrators. Anarkismo reported that "the stalinists had made an agreement with the police so as to be allowed to police the demo themselves. According to our information, similar agreements were made between the KKE and other left parties' or groupuscules' unionists so that each was alloted a special place near the parliament accepting KKE's hegemony. They later supported fully KKE in its denunciation of the 'anarcho-fascists', 'parastatals' etc, namely all those who were not part of the deal, not willing to accept it and tried to break their cordons."

Of course, whether you want to call this "collaborating" with the cops against the demonstrators, or the demonstrators (probably the majority) wanting to police the demonstration themselves and prevent the anarchists from storming the parliament, entirely depends on where your sympathies lie.

If the US situation should ever comes to a boil as in Greece, you can expect to see today's rhetorical clashes between the parties erupt into violent confrontations.

Unfortunately, it's politics - bitter and bloody divisions over tactics among those forces ranged against the established order - not collaboration by one side or the other with the authorities.