[lbo-talk] Syria

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 05:44:10 PST 2012

"He pointed out that Russia had only requested the vote be delayed until the Russian delegation (Lavrov and Mikhail Fradkhov) returned from Damascus. The Security Council would have none of it, insisting the matter be put to a vote immediately and, as I suggested earlier, doubtless well aware it would inspire a veto."

[WS:] I wonder if this was actually a game plan - a show of a "good will to help" and then blaming the "bad guys" (Russia and China) for not being able to deliver. A similar game was played by the US and England in the Warsaw Uprising in 1944 - they refused to assist the insurgents, but then accused Russia of inaction and unwillingness to help.

It is possible that the West (and Israel) would rather see the status quo than Islamist parties getting to power, but they do not want to say this openly as not to tarnish their "democratic" image. So they pretend that they want to aid "forces of democracy" but do it in such a way that it is virtually guaranteed to fail, and then they can blame Russia and China for that failure.

Wojtek