[lbo-talk] Lou Proyect responds...

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 08:02:24 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:29 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> The author goes on to critique the term, anti-capitalist, but doesn't
> question the idea that a nascent social movement, in a country like the
> u.s., is only worth active participation only if its members are somehow
> fully formed freedom fighters against capitalism, ready to dispose of a
> capitalist economy, here and now, end of fucking history.

I think this is exactly why every post of Marv's grates on my nerves. (I don't mean this personally or to pick on Marv; I don't know him. But as Deleuze said, everyone needs an enemy.) His political analysis and strategy are all about identifying where people are on the political spectrum, assigning them an identity based on their subject position, and delimiting possibilities based on those things. Unlike the Platypussers, Marv doesn't use that sad taxonomy to advocate doing nothing; just the opposite I think. But the drawing of and obedience to these very conventional, ideological lines can only reproduce things as they are. What's lost is discovering the possibilities of transformation.