[lbo-talk] Neoliberal Triumph was ] More on BB ...

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 12:10:25 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> I completely agree. It was a very successful strategy for 30 years. It's now run into a brick wall, though, and they don't
> have another strategy but more of the same, and I don't think it's going to work this time. Maybe I'm wrong. It won't work
> economically because we can't go through another round of massive leveraging, and it won't work politically because
> too many people are fucking sick of it.

And then there's the cultural side of the story: neoliberalism's oligopoly lockdown on the mass media is being seriously contested, for the first time ever, by a sea of non-commercial, not-for-profit, and informal media networks. It's much deeper than just digitalization, though this is part of the story. There are massive transnational audiences in the world-system today which are literate, have access to the mass media, and are beginning to shape their own political destinies in ways impossible to imagine even 10 years ago.

-- DRR