[lbo-talk] Circle of Cooperation: How Establshed, was More on BB...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 12 09:13:11 PST 2012

Julio writes: ". . . there's nothing Stalinist about collective discipline. The need for discipline flows from the need to cooperate.

I am not talking about forcefully imposed discipline to some hierarchy apart and separate from us."

--------

Perhaps not, but the arrogance of simply assuming the content of "us" simply places Julio, in so far as he does assume this, among those with whom one definitely does NOT want to cooperate. Who "we" are is always prior to "What should we do?" or "How should we proceed."

I feel no need to cooperate with the FBI, nor with those who trust in the judgment and intentions of the FBI. Where do "we" draw the line, and how? Julio seems utterly unaware of the traps in the pronoun "we."

Carrol

P.S. There is in fact _no way_ in which one can define abstractly or prior to action who shall be included in our we. We discover each other through our practice, which always precedes our comprehensive understanding of that practice.