[lbo-talk] Not about discipline, but clarity

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Feb 13 10:14:34 PST 2012

I suppose you have some sort of sectarian def of internal criticism. I don't mean that as a criticism. I just use it in an entirely different way.

This guy showed up on our forum complaining that we didn't allow weapons at the camp. there was a huge debate about the 2nd amendment, etc. The guy didn't come to camp and didn't intend to. he lived 50 miles away. He was just concerned that, as an American citizen who supported the 2nd amendment, that we were a group who wasn't supporting it by allowing people to show up with weapons.

that isn't internal criticism, iyam. it's trolling.

Another example is from life with the Red Orange Marxists. During lunch,on campus, they'd enter the dining lounge and demand that professors who teach Marx in their classrooms stand up and be subjected to criticism.

they would call them out and then list the reasons why their use of Marx in the classroom failed. They would say, "YOu aren't Marxist"

And the professors would often think, "yeah. isn't it nice?"

for some reason, the Red Orange thought that the profs would be embarrassed by being told they weren't marxists.

If the criticisms doesn't actually get right the self-understandings of the people involved, how can it be internal self-criticism.

shag

('coz there's 5 million ways to kill a CEO)