[lbo-talk] sectarianism (was: [Violence Begets Defeat or Too Much Pacifism? by Michael Albert

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Feb 13 14:14:35 PST 2012

most excelent! a definition of sectarianism! now, if someone would explain how it is you learned to know who is sectarian partisan of Mao, who is sectarian partisant of Trotsky, who is this or that X partisan of this or that view, that would be waaaaaaaaaaaay cool.

I sat in a meeting two years ago, when we were getting an alternative labor education collective underway, and boy those dudes knew who was who just by the journal they quoted. Right off the bat, something would be said like, "You can tell JJ never left SDS!" Once, when a group of people showed up at a discussion forum we were televising about resp[onses to a plant shutdown, some people broke in to the meeting and started yelling at everyone for failing to be sufficiently... fuck it was so long ago... I don't recall. All I remember is that is when I first heard of a Spart.

Is it something you primarily learn by belonging to such and such a sect? I think I read something once about how the major thing one does in such a sect is try to get people to buy (or take?) newspapers they are expected to hawk weekly or something?