[lbo-talk] Michelle Rhee comes to Oakland

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 18:31:51 PST 2012

But then it finally hit me: what got to me wasn't just the anti-intellectualism. It was the menacing note, the identification with imperial power. It was this creepy feeling that this is exactly the tone US soldiers use while reporting to their superiors on the latest colonial raid on some Pashtun village. Deep in the Empire's repressive political unconscious, American children are nothing but rebellious Arabs.

Yes. The deep undertone here is exactly the opposite of what's advertised. Because basically, it's about fuck the children.

Not all children of course. The children of those in private schools are another matter entirely.

But for most children, yeah. Fuck them. We don't need them to be imaginative or creative or critical. We just need them to do what they're told.

Joanna