[lbo-talk] e-Books and (especially) e-Readers

brandelune at gmail.com brandelune at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 05:29:41 PST 2012

On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Ismail Lagardien wrote:

> But now that I accepted what I call the "acquiesced monopoly" that is Apple, I may no longer be able to share books and magazines.

That has nothing to do with Apple, but with the way the book data is stored.

When the book data is on one independent media (a handful of paper sheets) then you can share the book and only the book.

When the book data is held in a device that holds other books, you can still share the book, but then you need to share the device too, and the other books, and the rest of your data.

The main difference is the price. You don't mind sharing a book because it costs a few bucks. You do mind sharing a device (or even a shirt) that costs 400 bucks and holds your whole library and family pics.

The day you'll had devices that cost a few bucks, regardless of how the books are stored (DRM etc) you won't mind sharing the device with friends and students anymore because the device will be cheap enough that you can get one for your family pics and one for sharing books and not worrying that the device is lost (and you'll have all the books on your main machine anyway).

This simple demonstration shows that the industry that does not want you to share (and that will do everything possible to keep you from doing so) is not Apple: if they could sell you a dozen 400 bucks devices they'd gladly do. It is the publishing industry. See what the gaming industry is currently doing on the second hand market.

Jean-Christophe Helary ---------------------------------------- fun: http://mac4translators.blogspot.com work: http://www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr) tweets: http://twitter.com/brandelune