[lbo-talk] e-Books and (especially) e-Readers

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Feb 14 07:37:32 PST 2012

On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:29 AM, brandelune at gmail.com wrote:

> This simple demonstration shows that the industry that does not want you to share (and that will do everything possible to keep you from doing so) is not Apple: if they could sell you a dozen 400 bucks devices they'd gladly do. It is the publishing industry.

This is the point that is ignored or lost in Apple-hating (not implying OP was Apple-hating; making a general comment here). Apple may suck in comparison to the Free Software Foundation or similar utopian entity (don’t get me wrong: I worship Stallman and the FSF), but they are the only defence, the only entity whose interests are aligned with that of the user. Not the telcos whose destructive grip on the user was relaxed by Apple, not Google for whom, as has been repeated to death, you are not the customer, you are the product that they are selling to advertisers, etc. Publishers and producers/distributors do have us as customers but they are stuck with a business model that runs contrary to modern technology.

2 cents,

—ravi