[lbo-talk] Rich prefer public schools?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Feb 14 18:14:56 PST 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:26:38 -0800 "Chuck Grimes" <c123grimes at att.net> wrote:

> I am aware of that difference. I was just struck by the number of well off
> that prefer public schools. I always assumed the rich like private
> schools...

They can't all get *in* to private schools. Oh the ultra-rich always can, of course, particularly if they're willing to go the boarding-school route -- there are cheesy boarding schools with pretentious crests that will take almost anybody, at least for a year, or until they burn down a dorm.

But the elite day schools in New York -- and I'm sure this is also true in Boston and SF and LA -- can pick and choose. And a year or two down the road, they winnow out the kids who they don't think are going to be elite-college material.

This is called "counseling out". I am not making this up.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org