[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 10:52:52 PST 2012

Critical thinking was something I didn't run into until college. And even there it was because I took classes like Philosophy of History and Philosophy of Science and Intellectual History....

Being an English major and learning how to analyze texts also helped.

But in a way what helped me the most was moving from Romania to France to the U.S. and noticing that there were no eternal verities. That made me interested in taking those Philosophy of.... type college classes.

Anyway, not much critical thinking in the schools. The effect of the 60's on education started to change that, but the subsequent attack and defunding of education destroyed the 60's effect.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 07:41:45 -0800 Miles Jackson <milesvjackson at comcast.net> wrote:

> 4. Producing people who critically analyze the school system (--or
> perhaps you developed those intellectual skills on your own?)

If CC hadn't done it on his own -- perhaps with the help of others who were not official credentiallers, or not acting for the moment in that capacity -- it's not clear how he ever *would* have done it. The school system does *not* teach critical thinking, though there is a certain meretricious playacting of it, and plenty of phony claims made about it.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org