[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 11:02:05 PST 2012

I suspect one of the reasons is that teaching was/is mostly done by women.

Joanna

one thing I kept wondering is:

I wonder why teaching didn't follow the model of other professions where they realy do have people's lives in their hands: doctors, mechanical engineers, dentists, nurses, psychotherapists, even software engineers all do things and build things from which people actually die or are maimed. And yet we don't tend to have the same response to these professions as we do teachers. (I wonder how much we really buy into the idea that we need the market to control people in this debate. IOW, what about private school teachers: surely there are bad ones there, we've heard the horror stories, no? Sadists one and all at boarding schools, nO? :)