[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 15 11:47:32 PST 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 2:06 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> I think you are entirely too touchy about this, purposely not
> acknowledging the carceral roots and intents of modern education.

All I know I learned from Bowles & Gintis.

Anyway, schools are contradictory, prisons are not. Some good stuff goes on in school. I had some awful teachers in my above-median suburban NJ system, mostly dull mediocre ones, and a few really good ones I learned a lot from. I was bored a lot of the time, but it at the dullest, it was very different from breaking rocks.

> Also, without hating on old people, I thinks it's a good idea to
> listen, since young people have fresher educational experiences than
> us oldies.

I'm all ears. I love kids today. MH is a special case. I once tweeted at him, after one of his anti-old diatribes, that he was likely to be old himself someday. His was response was to day "there's a cure for that," and linked to a pic of a pistol.

Doug