[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Feb 15 13:35:26 PST 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:22:02 -0800 Miles Jackson <milesvjackson at comcast.net> wrote:

> Every academic term, my colleagues and I teach courses at our community
> college, and our students produce course work that proves you wrong.

I don't sdee how it could. The fact that they exhibit critical thinking doesn't imply that this is because you are teaching it; post hoc, non ergo propter hoc.

Of course in your own case I believe that you truly are trying to teach it (whether it can be taught at all, or only learned, is another question, of course; you can lead a horse's ass to water, but you can't make him think).

My observation was more a systemic one, to wit, that the overwhelming effect of the credentialling sector is better characterized as indoctrination than emancipation.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org