[lbo-talk] schools and prisons

Nathan n.crazeddoberman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:25:06 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:27:49PM -0800, Dennis Claxton wrote:
> At 12:15 PM 2/15/2012, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>

> >I hope you're right.
>

> I just noticed the Cornell study I sent a link to says "By 2001, the
> total United States inmate population had swelled to a staggering
> 6.5 million inmates"
>
> That number is for the "correctional population" meaning it includes
> people on probation or on parole, i.e. not behind bars. It's
> upwards of 7 million now, but falling.

If I'm not mistaken privatize prisons only house about 10% of the imprisoned population and only account for a similar amount of the total expenditure on prisons. Their existence is concerning but I think something of a chimera with regards to the broader issue of imprisonment. At the same time it is indicative of the same creeping "MBA consciousness". IIRC total prison population is more like 2 million. If I'm not mistaken the use of inmate labor is likewise another overblown concern as far as its economic significance--while the surplus labor there is huge, it's a small portion of what goes on.

There's also the rents paid to vendors like Aramark for the 1400 calories a day they provide to prisoners.

I tend to think that practically opposing vastly-underpaid prisoner labor is a much easier target than the privatization of prisons, which at present isn't significant though it quite certainly could be.

-- Nathan