[lbo-talk] Payroll tax cut extension

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Feb 17 15:23:51 PST 2012

>> "and Social Security can finally be put onto the general budget"
>
> [WS:] How would this reduce regressiveness?

Because income taxes are more progressive than payroll taxes. In fact, it's the income tax that's really the only progressive tax we have, and everything else -- payroll taxes, user fees, etc. -- works against it. Even state income taxes are usually only mildly progressive, which, compared to the federal ones, make them regressive.

My slogan: get rid of all taxes except the income tax at the Federal level; and property taxes at the county level.

/jordan