[lbo-talk] Payroll tax cut extension

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sun Feb 19 17:32:17 PST 2012

It's possible the corporate income tax is more progressive than the individual income tax, but that aside. There isn't that much juice left there, in the grand scheme of things.

On balance the individual tax is progressive. To me a top priority is getting the cap gains and dividends rates back to those for other income.

If you put credence in the social insurance concept, not incidentally the foundation for social-democratic systems throughout the industrialized world, then you don't want SS buried in the budget. So it is wrong to say there is NO downside. That said, it always seemed to me a limited departure to fund any shortfalls (once the payroll tax rates are restored) with income tax revenue.

If you abolish the payroll tax you need to increase income tax rates on that same income to recapture it. J's note that the employer paid portion is just lost wages is the standard economic view. The technical wrinkle here is that the current income tax includes a transition from net credits (mainly the EITC) to net liabilities. Inside the transition there is an implicitly higher tax rate (very high under the current design of the system), consisting of literal tax liability plus the takeaway of benefits. Expanding the income tax while retaining the low-end credits means a more onerous transition, and likely concentrating more tax burden than under current circumstances on middle income classes.

There is no problem funding SS with something like the current tax system.

The possible shortage is about 1.5% of GDP. For social democracy, however, such as a tax share of GDP in the high 30s or more, you need more than taxing the rich and the corporations. To wit:

http://tiny.cc/u3bln (sorry, you gotta pay for it)