[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:39:17 PST 2012

At 11:42 AM 2/15/2012, Wojtek S wrote:
>Doug: "Also, none of the progressive education types I've interviewed
>on the radio, and I've interviewed many of the luminaries, want to
>talk about how American anti-intellectualism figures into the
>problem."
>
>[WS:] This is my impression too. Based on my experience, many of
>these progressive & liberal types with whom I rub elbows around here
>do not want to acknowledge the deeply embedded anti-intellectualism,
>it seems to offend their populist sensibilities ("the people" can do
>no wrong). Blaming schools and teachers seems like an acceptable
>cope-out to them - it is the school's fault, not the people's and
>their anti-intellectualism. On the rare occasions when I point this
>out, those progressive and liberal types get really defensive and
>upset, which tells me that it hits the weak spot. And many of them
>support the charter school approach too.
>
>Wojtek

^^^^^^^^^ CB: I think you guys are spot on concerning anti-intellectualism and its inculcation in US Americans at the elementary and secondary level.

Good students are called "nerds", chastised by other students for "raising the curve". It's envy , but more than envy. I think US "libertarianism/anarchism" or the bourgeois concept of liberty/freedom has some determining effect here, too; and inversely this is a main site of that worldview being inculcated in Americans. "Question authority !" , i.e. disobey the teacher, get out of homework. I really want to say that the irrational hatred of teachers' unions that is now rife in the US is significantly rooted in the ruling class manipulating this "Bowery Boys' "cultural tradition among the US 99%.

Of course, the presumption that students are distributed over a normal curve of intellectual ability sets this up, as well; it's overdetermined ( lol).

Ultimately determining of the whole assault and disorganizing of the public schools is the fact that the ruling class doesn't want large numbers of the working class to be doing a lot of critical, analytical and socio- historical thinking. The purpose of attacks on teachers , their unions, charter schools , vouchers and financial dictators with no background in education running schools( in Detroit) is to lower the level of thinking by the masses. Imagine if the vast majority of working class youth graduated from high school ready for college and, most of them or a large percentage couldn't afford it.