[lbo-talk] book sculptures....

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Feb 22 11:36:03 PST 2012

> Beautiful stuff, see
>
> http://karanarora.posterous.com/insane-art-formed-by-carving-books-with-surgi
>
> Joanna

Wow, yes beautiful, mysterious, wonderful, worth study as well as admiration and definitely new even down to concept...

But, after experimenting with off beat materials and techniques that didn't hold up for more than a few years, I've some suggestion.

Permanent mount inside UV blocking, hermedically sealed, positive pressure inert gas glass box. It probably also needs a value mountd somewhere behind, unseen, to check and update the gas and pressure.

There must be some musem archivist to contact. If I was Brian Dettmer, I'd look into it in the next few years. Paper, even high quality acid free with stable traditional litho ink ages.

The oldest book I have is a copy of Capital printed in London in 1906. It's only problem is binding glue. I needed to be gentle when using it to follow Harvey's on-line class.

Notice Brian Dettmer folds back a binding to its maximum. The page seam is under pressure which means the stress is communicated to glue and binding inside.

These sound like ridiculous precautions. If I had kept some of my best student and early post grad drawings, they would be falling apart. The later scupltures done in resin and ply would be faded, chipped and cracked, destroying their mimimalist prestine surfaces. The pieces in clear resin would have turned yellow. Some of the color clear resin had already turned crystal blue to dirty brown.Some of the painting would already be almost dead... etc. Might have been an improvement, but I doubt that. I used to use Standard Brand, cans of thick oil mixed with house paint. It was very cheap, and most of painting in grad school used these materials mounted on cheap canvas cotton duck.

The last small Pollock I saw had already lost all of its spontaneous and fresh quality I remember back in the 1960s. The difference ruined the work, because I had to imagine what it used to look like. These works had a color and motion intensity that is probably hard to imagine. The same problem with the early Klein work on paper when he was practicing on newsprint but even other papers and board work.

CG