[lbo-talk] Europe's soft coup

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 05:27:35 PST 2012

There is a qualitative difference between bourgeois democracy falling to a fascist power grab, and one variant of bourgeois democracy being replaced by another. I do not see political parties being more democratic than an executive committee. In fact, the former can be fairly reactionary, as the case of the United States demonstrates. A similar case has been made for the UK as well (cf. Theda Skocpol, "Social policy in the United States") .

I have to admit that I have a bias against political parties. I believe that they tend to be a parasitic element that thrives on mediating citizen's access to government services, and thus tend to make this access as cumbersome as possible to extract higher premium for this access. So if political parties get a booty I do not lose much sleep over it as long as the system remains democratic i.e. guaranteeing a certain minimum of civil rights. In other words, I do not equate party politics with democracy.

Wojtek