[lbo-talk] social media

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 06:33:45 PST 2012

Wojtek wrote:

> Pervasive foreign language illiteracy is a uniquely US phenomenon.

I'm not surprised that you hold this view, but you're wrong.

The problem is that native English-speakers from the US, in their travels, usually only come into contact with people who have had the educational and/or wealth advantages that allow them to learn foreign languages.  So English-speakers then assume that "everybody speaks English", and accordingly engage in all kinds of hand-wringing about how Americans are supposedly so bad at foreign languages.

Don't get me wrong, I think if the US was not an arrogant superpower, it would have the decency to instruct its school students in Spanish from an early age.  But this is hardly a unique US phenomenon.

The French are notoriously bad polyglots.  French tourists who come to Germany are absolutely *shocked* to discover that most service sector workers do not speak French.  And since they themselves often don't speak German or English (because why learn English if French is a "world language"), communication difficulties ensue.

And let's not even get started on all the Germans in Majorca who never bother to learn a word of Spanish.  Majorca even has German-language daily newspapers!