[lbo-talk] Europe's soft coup

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 04:55:00 PST 2012

Marv: " unelected government of technocrats would be less subject to political, ie. democratic, pressure from below"

[WS:] To be honest, I've seen both. I lived in a country ruled by an unelected executive committee and one ruled by the so-called elected 'representatives' . I see no significant difference between the two regarding responsiveness to "pressures from below" - both respond only if sufficiently threatened. I see a difference in the quality of political discourse - it is far more poisonous and idiotic in countries ruled by elected "representatives." Elections are nothing but a celebrity contest and as such it trends toward the lowest common denominator.

There are also differences in the standards of living, but these are due to the level of economic development, production, etc, rather than the type of government.

Wojtek