[lbo-talk] MH & DG on university

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Feb 27 09:29:00 PST 2012

what is the drive behind higher tuition? i see a few things going on but don't really know. someone correct where i've got it wrong:

1. the decline of research grant funding from government/NGO sources (started in the 80s with the waves of retrenchment shutting down what were once well-funded research programs sponsored by NIH, for instance.)

2. unis have been dealing with the pressure so far first by retrenchment, offering early retirment, cutting costs, shuffling off burden of teaching load on to adjuncts and TAs. they've reached their limit.

3. decline of gov grant monies

4. rise of student loan market (and all the tertiary products)

5. demand to run uni like a business - started in early 90s -- to deliver profits. used to be that the competition meant that unis would try to offer more "value" such as "student centered research university" to justify why they were charging so much tuition. No longer possible? Must raise tuition even more?

6. demand - status competition?

7. recent surge - decline of revenues due to burst of real estate bubble

8. unis paying for idiotic expansion into real estate where they once bought and built as investment, used "equity" for funding - no longer possible with real estate crash