[lbo-talk] MH & DG on university

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Feb 27 19:42:09 PST 2012

On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:54 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:13 PM, // ravi wrote:
>
>> My guess is that the OP (to extend the term) meant that bit to counter the usual liberal belief that a college education will somehow make things better for all. The idea that if only we could get everyone a degree then all will be well, which can motivate calls for free college education.
>
> All will be well? Of course not. But it can't hurt.

Right, "can’t hurt" = "reading room in prisons"… yes?

Regarding “all will be well”, it wouldn’t be too difficult to find a good number of liberals who actually believe that, wouldn’t you say?

> Why do you think the bourgeoisie wants to make it expensive?

Credentialism? A different spin on License raj? Academic credentials being the current device for justifying the pyramid. I am guessing. If education became free, then the credentials or gates will be rejiggered, I assume.

—ravi