[lbo-talk] SLAPP (Strategic Litigation Against Public Participation) suit against Olympia Co-op boycott of Israel dismissed

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:14:51 PST 2012

The food co-op in my little hick (if granola) town joined the Boycott, Divest and Sanction movement to oppose Israeli Apartheid. A minority of co-op members, after being roundly defeated in board elections, decided to use the courts to punish the co-op. At the time of the election they threatened the co-op: if you don't rescind the boycott you will face a "burdensome and expensive legal process". And with the help of StandWithUs, and Israeli funded hate group that opposes Palestinian rights they did indeed file a lawsuit which has now been dismissed (though undoubtedly there will be an appeal).

To read more about the lawsuit and its dismissal:

http://www.theolympian.com/2012/02/27/2007774/judge-tosses-lawsuit-that-sought.html short Url: http://bit.ly/yWNknc To read more about role of Israel in this: http://www.alternet.org/story/154256/is_israeli_government_involved_in_harassment_lawsuit_against_washington_food_cooperative_?page=entire Short url: http://bit.ly/wBulCE To read more about olympia BDS http://www.olympiabds.org/

A picture of me at a recent BDS demonstration. (I don't know why the photographer isolated me from the other participants. It was fairly well attended for an early morning demo before a court hearing) https://twitter.com/#!/tescdivest/status/172717828858843136/photo/1/large short url: http://bit.ly/wtiOPT

Anyway, at this point the filers of the lawsuit have incurred a liability of $50,000 penalty plus legal costs for defending against their now dismissed suit. Some on this list suggested that BDS was not worth the effort, but the Israeli consulate and the Israeli funded hate group StandWithUs certainly seems to think it worth some effort to oppose.

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Solving the Climate Crisis web page: SolvingTheClimateCrisis.com Grist Blog: http://grist.org/author/gar-lipow/ Online technical reference: http://www.nohairshirts.com