[lbo-talk] MH & DG on university

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 04:35:02 PST 2012

Jeffrey F: "As for students not liking the work, i'm partly venting frustration, but it ought to be understood as symptomatic of the structure we're in. But the truth is that i actually get a lot of students who enjoy the class and enjoy the challenge. If not at first, then eventually, when they start to feel like they're getting somewhere. So, there's that. But when they first get to me, they generally expect me to hand them everything. They've been trained to it, afaict. It's not just laziness (although i reckon some of it is). It's a symptom of the structure."

[WS:] You are absolutely right. I also think, based on my own limited experience, that this is a generational and gender thing. I used to teach (many years ago) classes attended by students freshly off high school and older folks who came back to school for one reason or another. The latter had it more difficult to get back into the school routine (classroom attendance, assignments, papers, etc.) but they also tried harder to succeed. The younger ones expected everything to be handed to them and complained about "too much reading." Also women tend to be better learners than men - they actually make an effort to learn. Men tend to be arrogant assholes who either assume they know everything and they do not need to learn or that they need to be entertained when they show up for class.

Wojtek