[lbo-talk] MH & DG on university

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 05:25:10 PST 2012

Carrol, I do not mean to get personal, but your communication would greatly improve if you avoided judgments about your interlocutors' understanding of the situation. This is the fundamental principle of direct democracy - never question other people's intentions or understandings. What you write makes a lot of sense, but only if one makes a deliberate effort to disregard off-putting comments like "I think in this whole thread there is a profound misunderstanding of what schooling can provide" or " when Joanna speaks of "deep learning" the discussion has gone over the cliff, for it involves (a) a confusion." Why should people pay any attention to a posting that berates them?

A better way would be to open your posting with a statement like "This discussion does not seem to take into consideration X, which I think is important because ...." or "I am not sure if I understand Joanna's concept of Y, which could be interpreted as either X or Z, so please clarify."

I understand that it is a male thing to speak with authority, define situation for others, don't ask questions or admit doubt - but one positive thing that I got from reading Graeber's ethnography of the anarchist movement is how far these folks go to control that tendency.

It is one thing that all lefties and progressives could learn from these guys.

PS. I agree with your idea that learning is a life-long process on which schooling can, but does not have to, be built, and that there could be substantial learning outside the school system.

Wojtek