[lbo-talk] Barack Obama's senate victory

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 28 05:59:18 PST 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:02 PM, nathan tankus wrote:

> the article about Obama's senate victory. I found this quote very interesting:
>
> ''I think Barack Obama is one of the most interesting and capable
> individuals that is running this time, if not in any election,''
> Senator Jon Corzine of New Jersey, chairman of the Democratic
> Senatorial Campaign Committee, said Wednesday. ''Frankly, he will be
> one of the easier candidates to raise resources for.''

Ha, so that's where all that MF Global money went!

In Game Change, Heilemann and Halperin report how Harry Reid called Obama in after not much more than a year in the Senate and told him he wasn't cut out for that body - he wasn't one for all that glad-handing and back-slapping. Instead, he should run for president. The idea of Obama as some sort of surprise outsider is weird.

Doug