[lbo-talk] interest rate policy

Tony Rolfe mr.tony.rolfe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 01:15:08 PST 2012

My understanding of all this is fuzzy. I have a notion that mechanisms like the LTRO, QE etc... are basically publicly insured loans (insured through power of taxation) to banks to shore up their balance sheets via "old fashioned" banking (borrowing short, lending long).

The short loans have extraordinary guarantees, not just in terms of public backing, but also duration--essentially removing any risk. As I understand it, this is The Plan.

Do I have this right or am I now a conspiracy theorist?